For Thursday, January 24th, please read the following before coming to class. These readings are from popular media publications and are very quick and accessible reads. Please don’t be frightened by the number; they are all short!
- People with Disabilities Shouldn’t be Judged by the Technologies They Do or Don’t Use by Sylvia Yee
- We Are the Original Life Hackers by Liz Jackson
- Becoming Disabled by Rosemarie Garland-Thomson
- You may also be interested to watch:Judith Butler’s walk with Sunaura Taylor
For Tuesday, January 29th, we will not meet formally as a class. Instead, I ask that you use the time during our class to watch the documentary Fixed: The Science/Fiction of Human Enhancement (please take notes while you watch; you may need to login through VT libraries to stream the video).
We will discuss the film in class on Thursday, January 31st. Please also read Harriet McBryde Johnson’s last chapter from her memoir: Johnson_TooLate_LastChap_v4.pdf
For Tuesday, February 5th: We have the pleasure of having Martina Svyantek coming to discuss “Access Fails” with us. For this class please read the following blog posts from disabled community members:
- Bill Peace’s Letter #3 (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- Stephen Kuusisto’s Letter #4 (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- Imani Barbarin’s “Things I’ve Learned in this Black Female Body.” (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
For Thursday, February 7th, we’ll continue to discuss infrastructure. Please watch this tour of a new building in Toronto before coming to class:
Week on Hearing, Deafness, and Technology:
Tuesday, February 12: Please read the following short opinion articles:
- “Stop Sharing Those Feel-Good Cochlear Implant Stories”
- Sara Novic’s A Clearer Message on Cochlear Implants
Thursday, February 14th, there is an article uploaded to Canvas to read before this class:
Week on Prostheses:
For Tuesday, February 19th, please read:
- Raman Srinivasan’s “Technology Sits CrossleggedActions ” (on Canvas)
- Donna Walton’s “What’s a Leg Gotta Do With It?”
For Thursday, February 21st, please read:
- Catherine Campbell’s “Giving up A 3-D Prosthetic For A Different Vision of Perfect”
- Jen Lee Reeves’s “Prosthetics Do Not Change Everything”
- Rosemarie Garland Thomson’s “Hands”Actions (on Canvas)
More will be added to the schedule as we move along.