Ashley Shew’s publications
Books and Textbooks
- Shew, Ashley. 2023 (forthcoming). Technoableism. [Under contract and currently being drafted.]
- Herdegen, Hanna, Ashley Shew, Damien Williams, et al. 2022-2023 (under construction). Technology & Disability Open Educational Resource. [Currently editing, writing, and beta testing.]
- Shew, Ashley. 2017. Animal Constructions and Technological Knowledge. Lexington Books.
- Garnar, Andrew, and Ashley Shew, eds. 2020. Feedback Loops: Pragmatism about Science and Technology. Lexington Books.
- Miller, Glen, and Ashley Shew, eds. 2020. Reimagining Philosophy and Technology, Reinventing Ihde. Springer.
- Pitt, Joseph C., and Ashley Shew, eds. 2017. Spaces for the Future: A Companion to Philosophy of Technology. Routledge.
Select Journal Articles
- Shew, Ashley. 2022 (forthcoming). How to Get a Story Wrong. Including Disability 1(1).
- Shew, Ashley. 2020. From a Figment of Your Imagination: Disabled Marginal Cases and Underthought Experiments. Human Affairs [Special Issue on Philosophical Reflection and Technological Change] 30 (4): 608-616.
- McCall, Cassandra, Ashley Shew, Denise R. Simmons, Marie C. Paretti, and Lisa D. McNair. 2020. Exploring student disability and professional identity: navigating sociocultural expectations in U.S. undergraduate civil engineering programs. Australasian Journal of Engineering Education.
- Shew, Ashley. 2020. Ableism, Technoableism, and Future AI. IEEE Technology and Society Magazine, Volume 39( 1), 40-85.
- Nelson, Mallory Kay, Ashley Shew, and Bethany Stevens. 2019. Transmobility: Possibilities in Cyborg (Cripborg) Bodies. Catalyst, Special Issue on Crip Technoscience. 5(1).
- Shew, Ashley, and Keith Johnson. 2018. Companion Animals as Technologies in Biomedical Research. Perspectives on Science 26(3).
Peer Reviewed Book Chapters
- Shew, Ashley. 2021. “The Minded Body in Technology and Disability,” in Shannon Vallor (ed.), The Oxford Handbook of Philosophy and Technology. Oxford. [Link to Table of Contents]
- Shew, Ashley. 2020. “Technological Knowledge in Disability Design.” In Feedback Loops, edited by Andrew Garnar and Ashley Shew. Lexington Books. [Link to Shew Tech Know in Dis Design PDF]
- Shew, Ashley. 2017. “Animals in Philosophy of Technology,” in Joseph C. Pitt and Ashley Shew (eds.), Spaces for the Future: A Companion to Philosophy of Technology. Routledge. [Shew Animals in Phil of Tech PDF]
- Shew, Ashley. 2008. “Nanotechnology’s Future: Considerations for the Professional,” in Fritz Allhoff and Patrick Lin (eds.), Nanotechnology & Society: Current and Emerging Ethical Issues, pages 127-146. Springer. [Nanotechs Future Considerations PDF]
- Baird, Davis, and Ashley Shew. 2004. “Probing the History of Scanning Tunneling Microscopy,” in Davis Baird, Alfred Nordmann, and Joachim Schummer (eds.), Discovering the Nanoscale, pages 145-156. Amsterdam: IOS Press. [Baird Shew Probing History STM PDF]
Peer Reviewed Conference Proceedings
[These are all associated with an NSF grant where I am a co-PI, Exploring Civil Engineering Identity and Disability, NSF Grant #1733636]
- Groen-McCall, C., McNair, L. D. , Paretti, M. C., Shew, A., and Simmons, D. R. 2019. “Exploring Professional Identity Formation in Undergraduate Civil Engineering Students Who Experience Disabilities: Establishing Definitions of Self,” American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) Annual Conference.
- Groen-McCall, C., McNair, L. D., Paretti, M. C., Shew, A., & Simmons, D. R. 2018. Experiencing disability: A preliminary analysis of professional identity development in U.S. undergraduate civil engineering students. Proceedings of the Australasian Engineering Education Conference, Hamilton, New Zealand.
- Groen, C., McNair, L.D., Paretti, M.C., Simmons, D.R., and Shew, A. 2018. “Exploring Professional Identity Development in Undergraduate Civil Engineering Students Who Experience Disabilities.” Proceedings of the 2018 American Society for Education Annual Conference and Exposition. Salt Lake City, UT: ASEE.
- Groen, C., Paretti, M. C., McNair, L. D., Simmons, D. R., & Shew, A. 2018. “Experiencing disability in undergraduate civil engineering education: An initial examination of the intersection of disability and professional identities.” In Proceedings of the 2018 Collaborative Network for Engineering and Computing Diversity (CoNECD) Annual Conference, Crystal City, VA.
Select Essays, Creative Writing, and Commentaries
- Shew, Ashley. 2021. “Forearm Crutches” [poem]. Wordgathering 15 (4), Winter 2021. https://wordgathering.com/vol15/issue4/poetry/shew/
- Olson, Cora, Ashley Shew, Miranda Fleck, and Chiara Tartaglino. 2021, September 21. “The Trouble with Distorted Histories.” Insider Higher Education. https://www.insidehighered.com/views/2021/09/21/mandatory-campus-vaccines-do-not-violate-medical-ethics-opinion
- Shew, Ashley. 2021, March 3. “Disability Disclosure in the Classroom.” Inside Higher Education. https://www.insidehighered.com/advice/2021/03/26/benefits-professor-disclosing-disability-their-class-opinion
- Svyantek, Martina, Scott Dexter, and Ashley Shew. 2020, Dec 1. “Now What? Adding Accessibility Mid-Stream.” Academe Magazine (American Academy of University Professors Publication). https://www.aaup.org/article/now-what-adding-accessibility-midstream
- Shew, Ashley. 2020, Oct 7. “An Interview with Jai Virdi, Author of Hearing Happiness.” Nursing Clio [History of Medicine Blog]. https://nursingclio.org/2020/10/07/ear-trumpets-and-archives-an-interview-with-jaipreet-virdi-about-hearing-happiness/
- Shew, Ashley. 2020, Sept 9. “Passed, but not Enacted: The Law Is Not the Power.” All of Us [Blog of the Disability History Association]. http://allofusdha.org/ada-turns-30/passed-but-not-enacted-the-law-is-not-the-power/
- Shew, Ashley. “Let Covid19 Expand Awareness of Disability Tech.” Nature 581 (May 5, 2020), page 9. URL: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01312-w
- Shew, Ashley. 2019. “Stop Depicting Technology As Redeeming Disabled People.” Nursing Clio, April 23.
- Shew, Ashley. 2018. “Different Ways of Moving Through the World.” Logic Magazine, Issue 5: Failure. URL: https://logicmag.io/05-failure/ [Shew Different Ways of Moving Through the World 2018]
- Shew, Ashley. 2018. “Water of Life.” Medium, November 26. URL: https://medium.com/@ashleyshew/water-of-life-aef9569c62e5
- Shew, Ashley. 2017. “The Long Way Around,” The Chronicle of Higher Education, September 17. URL: https://www.chronicle.com/article/It-Shouldn-t-Be-This-Hard-to/241166
- Shew, Ashley. 2017. “Finding My Amputee Brethren.” Nursing Clio, July 28. URL: https://nursingclio.org/2017/07/27/finding-my-amputee-brethren/
- Shew, Ashley. 2017. “Inventing the Future – for all of us.” Opinion/Letter to the Editor. Collegiate Times, May 1. URL: http://www.collegiatetimes.com/opinion/lte-inventing-the-future-for-all-of-us/article_c2fcddc2-2ece-11e7-9467-fb1f5ea5c108.html
- Knowles, Scott. 2021, Sept 2. Ashley Shew Guest on Covid Calls, #333. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLnoZ0cK8H4
- Anderson, Amanda. 2020. Meeting Street Podcast [Brown University], Episode 1: Disability Studies and the Pandemic, October 2, 2020.
- Wong, Alice. 2019. Disability Visibility Project, Episode 66: Cyborgs. December 18, 2019. https://disabilityvisibilityproject.com/2019/12/18/ep-66-cyborgs/
- “Dr. Doolittle.” Podcast: Flash Forward with Rose Eveleth. (Interviewed about Animal Constructions and Technological Knowledge.) August 14, 2018. URL: https://www.flashforwardpod.com/2018/08/14/dr-doolittle/
- “Enter the Exos.” Podcast: Flash Forward with Rose Eveleth. (Interviewed + a former student interviewed.) May 8, 2018. URL: https://www.flashforwardpod.com/2018/05/08/enter-the-exos/
Interviews & Research Coverage
- Zheng, Elise. 2021, Nov 1. “Covid, disability, and work adaptation.” The Thinker, Issue 61 [publication written in Chinese].
- Boyle, Eve. 2021, August 10. “Research from the field of science and technology studies offers strategies for broadening participation in STEM.” NSF Science Matters Blog.
- Maryland Today Staff. 2021. “Disability Summit Examines Advances in Access, Equity.”Maryland Today, April 9. https://today.umd.edu/disability-summit-examine-advances-access-equity-dd10b911-cdf4-4bc6-b43d-09fb4b9596fa
- Perry, David. 2020. “Do-It-Yourselfers Lead Way to Disability Gains.” New York Times, June 14. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/14/style/assistive-technology.html
- Crane, Brent. 2020. “How Big Tech Gets Disability Wrong.” Folks, June 4. https://folks.pillpack.com/how-big-tech-gets-disability-wrong/
- Yong, Ed. 2020. “Covid-19 Can Last For Several Months.” The Atlantic. June 4. https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/06/covid-19-coronavirus-longterm-symptoms-months/612679/
- Yong, Ed. 2020. “Our Pandemic Summer.” The Atlantic, April 15. https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/04/pandemic-summer-coronavirus-reopening-back-normal/609940/
- Pointer, Eric. “VT Assistant Professor Works to Include Disabled People In Products Meant for Them.” WFXR (local tv news). October 24, 2019. URL: https://www.wfxrtv.com/news/vt-assistant-professor-works-to-include-disabled-people-in-products-meant-for-them/
- “Tech Project to Boost Accessibility at April 16 memorial, around campus,” Roanoke Times, May 4, 2019.
- “NSF Award To Enable Research Into Technologies For Disability Community,” Virginia Tech College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences News (also featured in VT News with this story), July 27, 2018. URL: https://www.news.liberalarts.vt.edu/2018/07/27/nsf-award-to-enable-research-into-technologies-for-disability-community/
- “Department of Science, Technology, and Society to celebrate its inaugural research day.” (Two students from STS 3284 interviewed.) April 25, 2018. URL: https://vtnews.vt.edu/articles/2018/04/clahs-sts-research-day-2018.html
- ‘Sit Out’ at Virginia Tech Raises Awareness to challenges for disabled. Roanoke Times (front page), May 4, 2017. URL: http://www.roanoke.com/print_only/tab_master/sit-out-at-virginia-tech-raises-awareness-to-challenges-for/article_2eec3d0b-5596-5087-9c53-6890086299d2.html
- ‘Sit out’ hosted for equal access on campus. Collegiate Times, May 4 ,2017. URL: http://www.collegiatetimes.com/news/sit-out-hosted-for-equal-access-on-campus/article_7a2249d4-30ef-11e7-a808-730278195cb4.html
- Protesters at Virginia Tech ‘Sit Out’ against stairs without ADA ramps. 11 O’Clock News. WDBJ7 (TV Station), May 3, 2017. http://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/Protesters-at-Virginia-Tech-Sit-Out-against-stairs-without-ADA-ramps-421250324.html
Stuff About Disabled People in Space – the real reason you are here, surely
- Mandel, Savannah. 2021. “Three Cheers for Pioneers: A Review of Outer Space Anthropology.” Anthropology Now 13(2): 111-122. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/19428200.2021.1973332?scroll=top&needAccess=true
- Kramer, Miriam. 2021. “The New ‘Right Stuff’.” Axios, Feb 23. https://www.axios.com/astronauts-space-agencies-disabilities-285395bd-2df6-4fb0-a2b8-ca9442e930e9.html
- Bartels, Meghan. “Space Tourism is About to Push Civilian Medicine to the Final Frontier.” Space.com. May 29,2019. URL: https://www.space.com/space-tourism-flights-health-risks.html
- Becoming Interplanetary Event, Recording of Panels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2q2tlojDB4&feature=youtu.be
- Eveleth, Rose. “It’s Time to Rethink Who’s Best Suited for Space Travel.” Wired, January 27, 2019.
- T&D Blog Post: Disabled People In Space – Becoming Interplanetary