Ashley Shew’s past and forthcoming publications*
(*List does not include papers under review or book projects without contracts, but I am currently seeking a publisher for a book project on Technoableism.)
- Garnar, Andrew, and Ashley Shew, eds. 2019. Feedback Loops: Pragmatism about Science and Technology. Lexington Books. Forthcoming in 2019. (Contracted.)
- Miller, Glen, and Ashley Shew, eds. 2019. Reinventing Ihde. Springer. Forthcoming in 2019. (Currently in Preparation.)
- Pitt, Joseph C., and Ashley Shew, eds. 2017 Spaces for the Future: A Companion to Philosophy of Technology. Routledge.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Accepted, forthcoming tbd: Shew, Ashley. “AI and Ableism.”IEEE Technology and Society.
- Nelson, Mallory Kay, Ashley Shew, and Bethany Stevens. 2019. “Transmobility: Possibilities in Cyborg (Cripborg) Bodies.” Catalyst, Special Issue on Crip Technoscience. 5(1).
- Shew, Ashley, and Keith Johnson. 2018. “Companion Animals as Technologies in Biomedical Research,” Perspectives on Science 26(3).
- Shew, Ashley. 2013. “Engines of Second Creation: Stories About Nanotechnology,” Bulletin of Science, Technology & Society, Volume 33 (1-3), pages 21-27, 2013.
- Shew, Ashley. 2008. “Nanotech’s History: An Interesting, Interdisciplinary, Ideological Split.” Bulletin of Science, Technology & Society, Volume 28 (5), pages 390-399.
Peer Reviewed Book Chapters
- Forthcoming: Shew, Ashley. 2020. “The Minded Body in Technology and Disability,” in Shannon Vallor (ed.), The Oxford Handbook of Philosophy and Technology. Oxford.
- Shew, Ashley. 2017. “Animals in Philosophy of Technology,” in Joseph C. Pitt and Ashley Shew (eds.), Spaces for the Future: A Companion to Philosophy of Technology. Routledge. [Shew Animals in Phil of Tech PDF]
- Shew, Ashley. 2008. “Nanotechnology’s Future: Considerations for the Professional,” in Fritz Allhoff and Patrick Lin (eds.), Nanotechnology & Society: Current and Emerging Ethical Issues, pages 127-146. Springer. [Nanotechs Future Considerations PDF]
- Baird, Davis, and Ashley Shew. 2004. “Probing the History of Scanning Tunneling Microscopy,” in Davis Baird, Alfred Nordmann, and Joachim Schummer (eds.), Discovering the Nanoscale, pages 145-156. Amsterdam: IOS Press. [Baird Shew Probing History STM PDF]
Peer Reviewed Conference Proceedings
- Groen-McCall, C., McNair, L. D., Paretti, M. C., Shew, A., & Simmons, D. R. 2018. Experiencing disability: A preliminary analysis of professional identity development in U.S. undergraduate civil engineering students. Proceedings of the Australasian Engineering Education Conference, Hamilton, New Zealand.
- Groen, C., McNair, L.D., Paretti, M.C., Simmons, D.R., and Shew, A. 2018. “Exploring Professional Identity Development in Undergraduate Civil Engineering Students Who Experience Disabilities.” Proceedings of the 2018 American Society for Education Annual Conference and Exposition. Salt Lake City, UT: ASEE.
Essays and Commentaries
- Shew, Ashley. 2019. “Stop Depicting Technology As Redeeming Disabled People.” Nursing Clio, April 23.
- Shew, Ashley. 2018. “Different Ways of Moving Through the World.” Logic Magazine, Issue 5: Failure. URL: https://logicmag.io/05-failure/
- [Shew Different Ways of Moving Through the World 2018]
- Shew, Ashley. 2017. “The Long Way Around,” The Chronicle of Higher Education, September 17. URL: https://www.chronicle.com/article/It-Shouldn-t-Be-This-Hard-to/241166
- Shew, Ashley. 2017. “Finding My Amputee Brethren.” Nursing Clio, July 28. URL: https://nursingclio.org/2017/07/27/finding-my-amputee-brethren/
- Shew, Ashley. 2013. “To the Cloud! Loss in the Age of Digital Memory,” The New Everyday, October. URL: http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org/tne/pieces/cloud-loss-age-digital-memory
- Shew, Ashley. 2010. “Preface to the Anniversary Special Issue,” issue honoring the 15th Anniversary of Techné. Techné: Research in Philosophy and Technology, Volume 14 (1), pages 1-2.
Book Chapters, Popular Press
- Shew, Ashley. “Every Breath You Take,” in D.E. Wittkower and Lucinda Rush (eds.). Ender’s Game and Philosophy, pages 134-142. Open Court, 2013. [Ender PDF]
- Shew, Ashley. “The Field of Field Philosophy.” Invited Book Review for Review Symposium: Socrates Tenured by Robert Frodeman and Adam Briggle. Philosophy of the Social Sciences 48(1): 56-62, 2018.
- Shew, Ashley. Book Review of 5 Questions: Philosophy of Science, edited by Robert Rosenberger (published 2010). Techné: Research in Philosophy and Technology, Volume 15(3), pages 243-244, 2011.
Narrative Essays and Op-Eds
- Shew, Ashley. 2018. “Water of Life.” Medium, November 26. URL: https://medium.com/@ashleyshew/water-of-life-aef9569c62e5
- Shew, Ashley. 2018. “This is What a Typical Day Waiting For Scan Results Feels Like.” I Had Cancer Network Blog, March 19. URL: https://www.ihadcancer.com/h3-blog/03-19-2018/this-is-what-a-typical-day-waiting-for-scan-results-feels-like
- Shew, Ashley. 2017. “Just Your Average Hard-of-Hearing, Chemobrained Amputee.” I Had Cancer Network Blog, July 19. URL: https://www.ihadcancer.com/h3-blog/07-19-2017/just-your-average-hard-of-hearing-chemobrained-amputee
- Shew, Ashley. 2017. “Inventing the Future – for all of us.” Opinion/Letter to the Editor. Collegiate Times, May 1. URL: http://www.collegiatetimes.com/opinion/lte-inventing-the-future-for-all-of-us/article_c2fcddc2-2ece-11e7-9467-fb1f5ea5c108.html
- Shew, Ashley. “Having an Amputation Can Be Okay.” The Mighty. February 8. URL: https://themighty.com/2017/02/having-an-amputation-can-be-ok/
Book Reviews of Animal Constructions and Technological Knowledge (2017)
- Bunyak, Garrett. 2018. The Quarterly Review of Biology 93(3): 255.
- Miller, Glen. “Animal Laborans, Homo Faber, or Something Else?.” Social Epistemology Review and Reply Collective, 7, no. 3 (2018): 1-4.
- Stamm, Emma. “Retooling ‘The Human.’” Social Epistemology Review and Reply Collective 7, no. 1 (2018): 36-40.
- Williams, Damien. “Deleting the Human Clause: A Review of Ashley Shew’s Animal Constructions and Technological Knowledge.” Social Epistemology Review and Reply Collective 7, no. 2 (2018): 42-44.
Podcasts and Radio
- Interview with Silicon Republic. January 16, 2019. URL: https://www.siliconrepublic.com/innovation/ashley-shew-disability-research-virginia-tech
- “Dr. Doolittle.” Podcast: Flash Forward with Rose Eveleth. (Interviewed about Animal Constructions and Technological Knowledge.) August 14, 2018. URL: https://www.flashforwardpod.com/2018/08/14/dr-doolittle/
- “Enter the Exos.” Podcast: Flash Forward with Rose Eveleth. (Interviewed + a former student interviewed.) May 8, 2018. URL: https://www.flashforwardpod.com/2018/05/08/enter-the-exos/
- Future Perfect: How Technology Will Shape Humanity and Vice Versa. WVTF/RadioIQ, December 15, 2017. URL: http://wvtf.org/post/future-perfect-how-will-technology-shape-humanity-and-vice-versa
- WIRED’s Geek’s Guide to the Galaxy, episode 106. Interviewed about the publication of Ender’s Game and Philosophy, March 20, 2014. URL: https://geeksguideshow.com/2014/03/20/ggg106-karl-schroeder/
- “Tech Project to Boost Accessibility at April 16 memorial, around campus,” Roanoke Times, May 4, 2019.
- “NSF Award To Enable Research Into Technologies For Disability Community,” Virginia Tech College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences News (also featured in VT News with this story), July 27, 2018. URL: https://www.news.liberalarts.vt.edu/2018/07/27/nsf-award-to-enable-research-into-technologies-for-disability-community/
- “Department of Science, Technology, and Society to celebrate its inaugural research day.” (Two students from STS 3284 interviewed.) April 25, 2018. URL: https://vtnews.vt.edu/articles/2018/04/clahs-sts-research-day-2018.html
- ‘Sit Out’ at Virginia Tech Raises Awareness to challenges for disabled. Roanoke Times (front page), May 4, 2017. URL: http://www.roanoke.com/print_only/tab_master/sit-out-at-virginia-tech-raises-awareness-to-challenges-for/article_2eec3d0b-5596-5087-9c53-6890086299d2.html
- ‘Sit out’ hosted for equal access on campus. Collegiate Times, May 4 ,2017. URL: http://www.collegiatetimes.com/news/sit-out-hosted-for-equal-access-on-campus/article_7a2249d4-30ef-11e7-a808-730278195cb4.html
- Protesters at Virginia Tech ‘Sit Out’ against stairs without ADA ramps. 11 O’Clock News. WDBJ7 (TV Station), May 3, 2017. http://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/Protesters-at-Virginia-Tech-Sit-Out-against-stairs-without-ADA-ramps-421250324.html
Stuff About Disabled People in Space – the real reason you are here, surely
- Becoming Interplanetary Event, Recording of Panels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2q2tlojDB4&feature=youtu.be
- Eveleth, Rose. “It’s Time to Rethink Who’s Best Suited for Space Travel.” Wired, January 27, 2019.
- T&D Blog Post: Disabled People In Space – Becoming Interplanetary